I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Mimosa Flowers

Yesterday, Midsummer's Day, Gabriel, my little white dog, and I took a walk in the yard just before supper.  Lying in the grass were these Mimosa flowers. . . .


As I bundled them together I began thinking about the Mimosa tree next door to the house I lived in from 5 to 9 years old.  I remember that tree vividly because I loved the feathery flowers, and because they were pink I remember thinking it was a peach tree.  It wasn't until 15 years ago when I discovered such a tree had voluntarily sprouted in our yard that I researched it and found what it really was.  It must have been the fact that it was Midsummer's Day, a magical day for some, that I brought the flower to my nose and, for the first time, realized that it had a sweet, almost peach-like fragrance.


Now is the high-tide of the year,
And whatever of life hath ebbed away
Comes flooding back with ripply cheer
Now the heart is so full that a drop overfill it,
We are Happy now, because God wills it.

-James Russell Lowell

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been there to smell the sweet fragrance of peach! Love you Sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to come, then, next summer while you're out and about on your travels!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.