I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Seeing for the First Time

Until this morning I'd never seen this butterfly in my garden before. . . . 

In my research I discovered it is a male Fiery Skipper that is resting on my Buddleia leaf (above) and feeding on its flower (below).  The reason it doesn't look like the same butterfly is because it folds up its lower wings while feeding.  You are seeing the underside in the photograph below.  If I had not kept my eye on it, I might have thought it was a different species.


This reminds me that sometimes when we aren't paying attention we not only miss seeing things, but we can be mistaken in what we think we are seeing.

You see me
I see you
But do we?

I am here
You are there
Nowhere near.

See within—
Look closer—
Only then.
~cgs

4 comments:

  1. A totally good lesson here -- don't be quick to judge, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you remind me of a childhood friend of mine, Cathy. She was an astonishingly-observant person too, and no one was better with details either. She used to inspire me to try and see the details in things better. She saw things no one else noticed; she'd see patterns in the most complex and seemingly-complicated designs. She noticed things about people too. One day in eighth grade we were working on algebra problems in study hall and she said to me, "Janet, your pencils are always the same proper new length. I've never seen you holding a little 3-inch pencil..." And it was true!! We laughed our heads off. I hadn't ever thought about it until she mentioned it, but I never could stand stumpy short pencils. They felt "wrong" and "off-balance" in my fingers. After that I decided to be sensible and switch to mechanical pencils, LOL. Everyone who knew her commented on this ability of hers. When we were in high school, we used to tell Robin she should become a criminal investigator, or a medical researcher maybe. We figure she'd be the person to find some critical detail that everyone else had completely missed, to solve a crime or one that would make all the difference in previous research and cure some awful disease etc etc. There is a LOT of value in having this ability, and maybe all it takes is a little more patience and a little more time to really be careful and LOOK. Not that I do that of course. What's that saying? "God is in the details..." Hey have a great and hopefully-cooler week. We're supposed to chill down significantly here - huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right in that I notice details, but it can be rather annoying......for other people, and so over the years I've tried to downplay this ability because I've not been very good about keeping my observations to myself. :-) When I was a teenager one of the occupations I wanted to be along with airline stewardess (but I was too tall) was a detective! Later I realized I would have loved being a researcher of whatever caught my interest at the time. In the end, I realized being a mother would allow me to use all these various skills. If I'd had a career outside the home I probably would have changed professions several times as I entered different phases of my life--I have SO many interests! My various web journals have allowed me to share these interests and get feedback. It's very gratifying.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.