I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Friday, August 14, 2015

Working in the Garden

….even the insects in my path are not loafers, but have their special errands.
~Henry David Thoreau

I spent some time watering my potted plants in the front yard this morning because we are in a dry spell.  There were others very busy in my garden this morning, too, as you can see.  These Bumblebees on the Spirea. . . .  

There were lots of Agapostemon (otherwise known as sweat bees) flying about. . . .

This bug resembles a Large Milkweed Bug, but it was on the False Aster, so I'm not sure. . . .

This Cicada was on my Fig Tree.  I think the noise in the trees was just too much for him and he's seeking solace in my garden. . . .

....and several Red-banded Hairstreak butterflies. . . .

The bee is not afraid of me
I know the butterfly
The pretty people in the woods
Receive me cordially
~Emily Dickinson

10 comments:

  1. Ohhh, what heavenly pictures Cathy!!! It looks so peaceful in your garden :-)
    Blessings and warmth, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, Cathy. The butterflies have been busy in my garden today. Bees are so important in our gardens, so I know you are happy to see them. Lovely blues in your garden! Makes me wish I had more blue flowers in the summer. Very cool and calming. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your close-ups are incredible, Cathy! Beautiful, sharp, clear - and HOW do you know what all these critters are? I could spot a dragonfly, a garden-variety bumblebee, a ladybug, a daddy-long-legs spider and since I spent a fair amount of time as a pre-teen weeding tomatoes for my Dad, probably one of those awful tomato hornworms. But that's all I could hope to name on sight. Is this skill something good gardeners just pick up over time? I've never had anything but containers plants and not much of a pest problem with any of them. So I'm guessing you must need to spend some serious time tending a real garden "with real dirt" in order to learn to identify both the beneficial as well as evil insects. Big thunderstorm going on right now here - lots of boomers and lightning. We don't need the rain at all - I sure wish we could send it to any of the MANY other spots in the US who do need it! Well, have a great weekend, take care and talk to you soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ I looked on the Web to find the names of the sweat bee, large milkweed bug, and butterfly. I just typed in the characteristics, then looked through the photos at the site until I found a look-alike.

      Delete
  4. I am in awe of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet, isnt it so fun to go walking in your garden and see the little worlds going on there? I had a garden spider in my basil patch for a week or so....made me nervous to make pesto, but you know--- I missed her when she was gone! Hope you're enjoying your summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.