I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Boundaries




Before I built a wall 
I’d ask to know
What I was walling in 
or walling out. 

~Robert Frost



"Limits are the barbed wire of life. . . .
                               Boundaries are split rail fences. . . .

. . . .We want our lives to feel limitless, so we must learn the art of creating boundaries that promote, nurture and sustain all we cherish." ~Sarah Ban Breathnach



4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a Robert Frost poem I never saw before. Is that it in its entirety? Or is this just a stanza? See? I always learn something on your blogs, Cathy. Good question too, actually. When we build walls or fences, are we "keeping in" or "locking out?" Personally I think we start out just trying to keep things coralled and safe, but that it can often end up preventing new things from coming in as well. Here's another question. If we KNOW ahead of time that our walls are definitely going to prevent some things from getting in, would we decline to build the wall in the first place? Not even to corral those first things we want to keep? Something to ponder in the wee hours. Take care and talk to you soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, the Robert Frost quote is from "Mending Wall." Concerning your question....I would think it depends on how important it was to protect what we're "keeping in." It seems most things in life have an upside and a downside to them. That's why having good priorities to begin with helps to make for a more satisfying life. And we should also re-evaluate the things we do from time to time.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.