I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Monday, October 26, 2015

Catching Sunlight

I took a walk
I searched the sky
I saw sunlight on the trees

Yellow, gold
Orange, and red
 Flames leaping from all the leaves

 And berries hung like rubies . . . .

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry’s cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I’ll put a trinket on.
~Emily Dickinson

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful fall details.The maple does wear a gayer scarf. She seems to be queen of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Emily Dickinson piece I'd never read before - and a perfect choice for this part of the Fall. I'm adding to my journal as soon as I finish this. Thanks, Cathy. Have fun on Halloween with Olivia! 🎃

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.