I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Tranquility

It is in your power to withdraw yourself whenever you desire.  Perfect tranquility within consists in the good ordering of the mind, the realm of your own.” 
~Marcus Aurelius, “Meditations”

(Click on Photo to Enlarge)

I sat on the bench, placed there for this very purpose, to view the lake.  Yes, I could live here....beside this lake....walking this path every day.  Our weekend away to Eagles Mere was coming to an end....the quiet....the tranquility the remoteness of the village on top of a mountain engendered....all these things conspired to make me not want to leave....

Marcus Aurelius' words give me pause.  I can find this tranquility in the good ordering of my mind?  What was it about this path, this view, that my mind cannot seem to produce?  This is what I must discover......


2 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but the older I get, the more I seem to need things QUIET. I used to be able to do just about anything alongside the background noise of TV, stereo, radio. I could write a paper in college with my headphones on, listening to music. I could finish outlining lesson plans and follow a TV show plot at the same time. Now I find myself muting noise a lot. I press the MUTE person on my TV remote and/or laptop. I even turn things OFF now, which was basically unthinkable when I was younger. And I'm not sure if I'm losing some of my ability to multi-task, or just getting wiser and more selective in my old age. But I do know I think more, and better, when it's Quiet. Have a tranquil, quiet Fall day yourself... 🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I've always been sensitive to extraneous noise. I hardly ever listen to music anymore because I'm in search of quiet!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.