I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

November

I attended a friend's mother's funeral this week.  I had visited Mary several times over the past few months while she was in an Assisted Care facility and am very sad to lose our budding friendship.  November is when I, too, lost my mother 20 years ago.

November is a month of transition in nature--when the living is juxtaposed with the dying.  

The "little things" can quite escape you when your mind is occupied elsewhere.  Our first sunshine this week, however, beckoned me to bundle up and go outside.  Camera in hand, Gabriel and I went to capture the little things.....like fallen autumn leaves trapped amongst the colorful berries. . . .

....and a squirrel's nest perched high in the tree with the few remaining leaves looking like birds roosting. . . .

....and the old gnarled apple tree with signs of woodpecker peckings. . . .

....and this tree stripped bare of its bark looking majestic against the clouded blue sky. . . .

....and Gabriel peering over the fence, behaving himself by not trying to jump it. . . .

....and my hidden gnome holding his mushroom and discovering there are real mushrooms growing in the hole of this tree branch saved from the broken tree. . . .

.....and this colorful mushroom growing on a fallen log. . . .

Mary was a wonderful artist in music, sewing, drawing and in friendships.  She will be missed greatly by her family and her many, many friends.


Pleasures lie thickest, where no pleasures seem; 

There's not a leaf that falls upon the ground 

But holds some joy, of silence or of sound, 

Some sprite begotten of a summer dream. 

~Samuel Laman Blanchard

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your good friend. But I am also glad that you had the time to appreciate her & the friendship you shared. I enjoyed your nature photography very much. Thinking of you always. Love, Sis xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences at the loss of your friend, Cathy. What a lovely tribute. Hugs to you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend's mom died this week too. I know one never stops missing their mother, as I'm sure you experience, Thanks for taking us along to see the little things today--all designed to bring joy to us and glory to their Maker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ My condolences to your friend, too, and to you, as well, because I know you must grieve for your friend's loss, too.

      Delete
  4. Condolences on the loss of your new friend, Cathy. It's always difficult to lose a friend, whether you've known them a long time or not. I'm sure being there for your grieving friend will help you too, and that you'll both be smiling soon when you remember Mary. 💔

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your lovely tribute to my mother, Cathy! She was a lover of the little things in nature, too, and the poem is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.