I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Hope


Language of Flowers:  Morning Glory




The Morning Glory has a special meaning for me.  Two friends and I formed a trio in the 1980s to sing songs of praise in our church.  I played the guitar and sang lead, while my friends harmonized.  I named us Morning Glory because it expressed our purpose--to bring glory to God in the morning worship service.  

This Morning Glory was planted by a bird, more than likely, a few years ago in the flower bed below my front porch.  Last week my sister, who was visiting from Florida, sat with me in the rocking chairs on the porch several mornings.  We shared our hearts' desire to bring glory to God as we drank our coffee and read our devotions.  The vine was growing so quickly that we saw its tip wave about searching for a foothold on the porch railing--I promised her I'd send her a photo as soon as it bloomed.  

Watching the vine reach out for the porch railing was a wonderful reminder of our need to cling to God always, especially when we are growing in the Lord and the enemy is prowling about to devour us.  It is also a reminder that He gives us each other for support to help us over the difficult paths we sometimes must travel.  This is what God was doing for me because while my sister was still here we learned that Olivia's and August's Poppi (my daughter-in-law's father) has been diagnosed with untreatable cancer.   

When I looked at the photo I'd taken I realized the light in the background is the electric candle I leave lit in my dining room window.  It is my reminder that Christ is the Light in the world and no matter what lies ahead His light will show the way.



Then your light shall break forth like the morning, 

your healing shall spring forth speedily, 

and your righteousness 

shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. 


Isaiah 58: 8




10 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this way you tie in the candlestick as GOD's light of the world. When I saw the Morning Glory, which bloomed so soon after I left, it was a message to me that GOD heard our hearts desire for improved relationships & it was HIS way of showing his blessings on our direction, and trust that we have in HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post Cathy, despite the terrible news about the kids' Grandpa. May the Force be with him. Will be keeping you ALL in my thoughts & prayers daily. And with your faith battling on his behalf, who knows what may happen? I wouldn't want to be the cancer that sees YOU coming down the hall after me. Such a soul & faith you have, my friend - I'm jealous. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, bless you❣️ Your prayers for Pete and all of us who love him mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry to hear this news for your family. A wonderful picture with such strong words to go with it. He is faithful and walks ahead of us through difficult times. May you all be filled with His peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dotsie, for your prayer for peace. There are those in my family whom I'm praying will be drawn closer to God because of this. But to get there may require a great deal of upheaval. Clinging to God is the only way to find that peace in the midst of the raging storm.

      Delete
  4. I just received the same news about my favorite aunt, my mother's baby sister; at the same time my mom has been battling salmonella. She may get out of the hospital today. It has been a stressful week to say the least! Your messages so often come in this timely way....a little tap on the shoulder. Thank you. And as I pray for my aunt I will keep Pete in my prayers as well.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. I will be praying for your Aunt and your mother and your family as well. God can use crises such as this for good in our lives, but my prayer is that Olivia won't lose her Poppi so soon. She gets so excited when she knows she's going to get to see him and she's always telling us and others "you came back" when we/they come back to visit her.

      Delete
  5. Cathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandchildren's Poppi. Cancer is no respecter of persons. I pray for God's love to surround you and your family at this time. I've been through this battle with my own dear sister and it can just tear your heart out. Take care. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ I'm writing a post on Faith, Hope and Love for Another Perfect Day right now.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.