I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Youth

This week in my garden I was reminded that life begins with the young looking quite different from what they'll be when mature.  Like these fawns with their white spots. . . .


Or the praying mantis nymph on my Rosemary, still brown and without wings. . . .



Even the Cone Flower looks different before its petals appear. . . .

So why should we humans expect to maintain our same youthful appearance?  The deer, the praying mantis, the flower will each grow into something beautiful.  They will fulfill their purpose, then joyfully return to the earth from whence they came. . . .


THIS is my letter to the world,
  That never wrote to me,—
The simple news that Nature told,
  With tender majesty.
-Emily Dickinson



4 comments:

  1. We have a pair of fawns that frequent our yard that could be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet little deer. We have jillions of them here in my neck of the woods. I'm frequently slowing down to let them pass on my drives out in the more rural countryside up here too. With two of my three brothers being hunters, I always marvel on how they can hunt at all when they see these incredible faces staring back at them. I never saw a baby grasshopper either - that was neat. You excel at nature photography, especially the close-ups. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.