I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Butterflies Can't Fly If They're Cold


I took a walk in my woods this morning.
The sky was gray. . . .



But then a bit of color caught my eye.
It was a butterfly. . . .




I wondered if it was dead,
so I touched it lightly
and its wings folded up!

Then I remembered --
Butterflies can't fly if they're cold.

Here I was outside enjoying the cooler weather
While this poor creature was at the mercy of its predators.

So I scooped it up and moved it to safety, only then noticing its tattered wings. . . .



Lord, I feel like this butteryfly some days....exposed, my mood gray and my heart tattered.  But I can rejoice....


For You have been my help, 
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy. 

— Psalm 63:7


6 comments:

  1. Cathy this is so beautifully written and illustrated! The gray day is illustrated well and what gorgeous color to that little butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ I had a great deal of help from the Creator. I just captured it with my camera!

      Delete
  2. Oh I have to agree with Podso - BEAUTIFUL post. Especially the colors. Your first photo is the very definition of GRAY DAY. I don't know if I've ever seen a BLUE butterfly. What a gorgeous blue too. I see to remember mostly golden colors myself. Oranges, peaches, yellows, salmons, apricots etc. Of course, now I'm worried about this butterfly. Will he/she be able to go on with tattered wings? Will a chilly night finish him off? I love Fall but I've never think about the fact that it means the end for a lot of lovely creatures, doesn't it? The big circle of Life, I know... but regrettable too. Have a wonderful weekend...💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, the sun eventually came out. When I checked later the butterfly was gone. I will be on the look-out for a blue-edged butterfly with tattered wings!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing from your heart, Cathy. Beautiful words of comfort. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.