I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Sunday, November 20, 2016

God's Grace


Enveloped in Your Light, may I be a beacon to those in search of Light.
  Sheltered in Your Peace, may I offer shelter to those in need of peace. 
 Embraced by Your Presence, so may I be present to others. 
—Rabbi Rami Shapiro





When despair grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting for their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free. 
--Wendell Berry

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Cathy again, for sharing your dep understanding of God and his leading us forward in grace. This is and deep gratitude, astoundingly beautiful and just what I needed today to reflect upong the glory of our God given qualities. Love, Merri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photo - so peaceful [I just love herons]. And two beautiful verses. Just what we need to remember in this undeniably scary time. I honestly never would have thought I'd apply the words SCARY TIME about our own lives here in America. It's beyond belief. It seems as though one day we were relaxed and normal, and overnight everything changed. My single prayer right now is that we will all look back on this time, these days of frightening uncertainty for some many, as the worst days of this coming change. Fear of the unknown is numbing. In my own life, every time I've been worried [or even terrified] about something to come, it has ended up being nowhere nearly as bad as I imagined. I'm praying this is the case again. Because it is NOT NORMAL for the country to be feeling this way, or behaving this way. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! 🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Janet. Fear is numbing. Where is Roosevelt when we need him: Nothing to fear but fear itself. When you're not afraid you are more able to take the appropriate action required because you'll have the courage to do what needs to be done. ❤️

      Delete
  3. Beautiful words/thoughts from Wendell Berry. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.