I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Yea, on the glancing wing of eager birds, the softly pattering feet of furred and gentle beasts. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord: Not borne on the morning's wings of majesty, but I have set My feet amidst the delicate and bladed wheat. I come in the little things, Saith the Lord.
-Evelyn Underhill

Friday, March 10, 2017

Lilacs in the Snow



The lilac bush felt the earth warming beneath her feet and awoke to exclaim, "Ah, Spring has arrived!  It is time to start fulfilling my purpose.  They say my blossoms have some of the sweetest fragrance amongst the flowers in the garden.  But first, I must draw up the nourishment through my branches and put out leaves so I can produce those lovely flowers."

And so she did.  The leaves began to sprout along each branch as the sun shone down every day.  It would not be long before the first flower bud would form....But then one morning she awoke to no sun.

The lilac bush felt a chill along her branches and noticed a white fluttering all about her.  "This is not rain, but something else."  For each newly emerging leaf cradled a bit of snow.  The Lilac bush felt a great deal of sorrow that morning wondering if her flowers would ever bloom.

In her impatience the Lilac bush forgot that tomorrow the sun will come out and turn the snow into much needed rain.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Cathy! And a good reminder that snow waters the earth too and the sun will come again. God's promises. Your photo is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.